Sunday, March 28, 2010

Awkward Texts

The growing world of technology has led me to write this blog post. Think about all the texts you sent today. Some were for merely informational purposes while others may have been flirty, witty texts. How was your spelling? Did you use any words in IM? Were any of the words wrong because it was in T9 and you forget to press the arrow to get to the next word? Did you use punctuation? Were you at one point trying to be sarcastic? Did you use any emoticons? The answers to these questions could lead to a variety of awkward situations. Wrong spelling could convey the wrong message. Sentences without punctuation is awkward to read. Sarcasm could be taken seriously. But I think the most awkward of these is the emoticons. Especially "the wink". My advice to all is to be very cautious when using "the wink". Only use it if you know the person really well and it is a joke (this same scenario can be applied to real life winks). I think winks used seriously are kinda creepy and unnecessary. Smiley faces are usually fine. I have never really encountered a situation where I felt the smiley face was inappropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment