Sunday, April 18, 2010

Awkward Goodbyes

As I contemplate my departure to go back home I can't help but think about all the goodbyes I am going to say. Some people I know I won't see again and there are some that say that we'll still stay in contact but who knows if that'll happen. And while all of this can be somber and saddening, I find myself thinking about how goodbyes are awkward. First, you have to decide who to go say goodbye too. You don't want to show up somewhere and be like "I'm leaving" and they're like "So...". Then there are the questions of how long should a goodbye be? What should you say? What if you see them again like ten minutes later? Should you hug (and if so for how long)? What if you cry? What if they cry? This can all be very awkward but my advice is simple. Say goodbye to whoever you want to and if it is awkward, embrace it. You don't want to regret not saying bye to anyone and goodbyes will be awkward no matter what because people approach the situation in different ways and have different reactions.

No comments:

Post a Comment